2008-08-04

Who is the most overrated athlete of all time?

Well football (American football) season is back, at least preseason. So I am trying to find out what is new for this season. I want to know all who changed teams during the off-season. I know Jason Taylor left the Dolphins to join the Redskins but I am sure a lot more big name players have switched teams. I want to know how serious Peyton Manning's injury is and how long he will be out for? I would like to know if his backup is any good. I would also like to know if the defensive genius Tony Dungy has made any improvement to his defense. How are the Patriots looking, do they have a chance to make another run at a perfect season? What about the Giants? Can they repeat?

Unfortunately I can't get any answers to my questions. Maybe I am turning on the TV at the wrong time or I am browsing the wrong sports websites. Every time I turn to ESPN and other sports channels and websites all I see and hear is:

Brett Favre this
Brett Favre that
Brett Favre is retired
No he is not
There will be no football
Unless Brett Favre comes back

WTF? They are acting like Brett Favre is to football what Tiger Woods is to golf or what Michael Jordan was to basketball. You would swear Favre is a Montana or a Manning. The truth is Favre is not even a Marino who never won a Super Bowl. Sure Favre won a Super Bowl but he had a player who could be considered on of the greatest to ever play the game on his defense in the late great Reggie White. The guy throws about as much interceptions as he does touchdowns. He has longevity, but that's about it. He is not calm under pressure like a Tom Brady and he is not a comeback kid like a John Elway. So exactly what is it about Brett Favre that is creating all this hype? I guess if John Madden says he is great then he must be great.

To me Favre is good but not great, he is very overrated. In fact in my opinion, he is the most overrated athlete of all time. I hope he and the Packers can work out their differences real soon, because I am anxious to know the happenings in football this preseason that does not concern Brett Favre and the Green Bay Packers.

Who do you think is the most overrated athlete of all time?

No comments: