2008-07-26

How to Get Writing Ideas

How to Get Writing Ideas




I believe that writer's block comes from two things: Not being prepared or wanting your writing to be perfect on the first draft. In this article, I will address both of these issues and help you get a better flow of ideas going for you.


Buy ticketsBeautiesEasy moneyHappy people
Web HomeBlogNetworkWorld news





Step1
One of the first things you need to do is get in a habit of carrying a notebook and something to write with wherever you go. We all have down time--waiting in line at the post office, doctor's office, etc. You can brainstorm during these times and come back to your ideas later when you're home. This has personally allowed me to come up with dozens of short stories I don't think I would've done otherwise.

If you want to do it, keep separate notebooks by your bed and in your car as well. Just remember to write down that great idea you get in your car when you get to a red light--not while the car is moving.


Step2
Read. I've also found it helpful to keep some reference books in your home office about the area you like to write about. It's always good to read about a book a month to keep your mind sharp and help you to spark some ideas. This makes some writers uncomfortable--thinking it's going to limit their creativity--but for me it's had the opposite effect.

I sometimes even read a little of people I disagree with (don't buy their books--just read a few pages) and have an idea of how I'd put a topic in my perspective.


Step3
Don't worry about getting things right on the first draft. While I was in school, I used to be so worried about getting a paper back with red ink on it. Now I actually like it when I run copy past other people and have them catch my mistakes. It makes your final draft better than if you keep it to yourself.

There are a lot of great web sites for writers that are very nice and helpful when it comes to reviews. I'll link you to a free one, Writing.com, that's my favorite below. I'm not affiliated with them but have been a member of their site for over a year--we review each other's work for things called gift points, which you can exchange for better memberships and to reward people for reviewing you. What I like is you can store your work online (private or public) in a portfolio and pick back up where you left off on another computer with the Internet. They've been really good to me or I wouldn't suggest them.




Buy ticketsBeautiesEasy moneyHappy people
Web HomeBlogNetworkWorld news

No comments: